Pagham visit and more Waxwings!

On Sunday I made the regular trip down to Pagham Harbour. A lingering, blanket of fog covered some of the fields despite the blue sky and sun which was finally making an appearance.

We arrived and I decided to walk down to Ferry Pool. On the way a Kestrel hovered very closely to where I was standing, swooping and then hovering elegantly with its eye fixed on its prey.

Kestrel
To my surprise Ferry Pool was frozen and there was not a bird in sight! Walking around the corner to the mudflats I could hear the whistling of wigeon. It turned out that the Wigeon, Teal, Redshank and Black-Tailed Godwit were flocking around the waterway that leads in the harbour. As we were walking back to the car to head to Church Norton a small bird flew very quickly above me in the sky, I managed to get some photos and could see it was a Snipe!

Teal
At Church Norton I couldn't see anything out to sea but in the harbour it was buzzing with bird life. Suddenly a huge flock of Brent Geese, followed by another, flew past heading right along the coast.
Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Redshank and and a big group of Dunlin took up the majority of birds. But Wigeon and Teal could be seen on the water along with a few Curlew amongst the other waders.

Behind the large group of Dunlin and a few Grey Plover there were 3 Shelduck. Suddenly all the birds lifted as if they had been spooked by something. As I was looking through my scope I heard the sound of wings flapping, looking up in surprise a bird of prey zoomed past my head, a Peregrine Falcon!




Later on in the week, on Thursday, I travelled 5 minutes down the road, to Bewbush, Crawley. 2 Waxwings had been reported feeding on an apple tree there in among some houses and sure enough when I got there that's what they were doing! I managed to get some decent photos despite the dull light. Also I noticed that one was colour ringed, this meant it had been ringed in Scotland by the Grampian Ringing Group!

Waxwing (Colour ringed)

Waxwing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warnham Nature Reserve

A few thoughts...

Have a wonderfully wild Christmas and a Happy New Year..