RSPB Pulborough Brooks

It was a very cold, winter day at RSPB Pulborough Brooks yesterday. Whilst walking out onto the reserve there was a group of birders with scopes at a viewpoint that looks over the reserve. They told me they had seen a Dartford Warbler perched on one of the posts in front of them around half an hour ago. However the last they had seen of it had flew into the gorse. I waited for 10 minutes but it never showed. :(

When I reached the hide the lake and grassland in front of me was alive with Wigeon and Teal. Electric calls of tumbling Lapwing and honking Canada and Greylag Geese was what I could hear. Quite a few Fieldfare were around as well, they were bathing in outer ponds, or puddles in fact, that surrounded the lake. Starlings were flitting to and from the lake, feeding with the ducks and then flying off in extremely small 'murmurations'.

Wigeon
There were also 2 Pied Wagtails bobbing around the edges of the water.

Pied Wagtail
Whilst visiting Netleys hide I saw that everyone had there scopes and binoculars pointed on something in the distance. It was a Peregrine Falcon! Someone kindly let me look in their scope and there it was, sat on a mound in the grass about a mile away!. It was surprisingly a first for me and apparently it was a juvenile, due to it's brownish feathers. 


In the last hide I could see around 100 Black-Tailed Godwits. Suddenly they all lifted up in the sky, along with Lapwings, flying back and forth before landing. Something must of spooked them. Among them were a pair of Pintail.

Flock of Black-tailed Godwit
List of species I saw: Shoveler, Kestrel, Fieldfare, Wigeon, Canada Geese, Starling, Pied Wagtail, Peregrine Falcon, Teal, Black-tailed Godwit, Pintail, Greylag Geese, Shelduck, Robin, House Sparrow, Blackbird, Songthrush, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warnham Nature Reserve

A few thoughts...

Have a wonderfully wild Christmas and a Happy New Year..