Wildlife At School

Young wildlife lovers like me will probably all think the same thing. Why is there no mention of wildlife or looking after our planet at school. Saying that I was lucky that in Primary School I ran my own wildlife club as we had a conservation area which had a pond, Blue Tit nest box, feeding station and a family of foxes (but its not like that in every Primary School!) Now I am in Secondary School (Year 8) We learn nothing at all about wildlife (especially British wildlife) This makes no sense to me at all. Yes we have to learn lessons like English, Maths and Science but isn't it important to learn about the animals that share our planet? 

Robin- Our national bird
Another issue is that every day at least one bag of rubbish is littered across my school, with seagulls flying around that could easily get caught and injure them. This is partly due to the lack of education about matters like this! Why can't we learn about how to save hedgehogs, about the amazing hen harrier and wildlife in our gardens at school? Isn't it important? 

Kingfisher
My friends look at me weirdly if I mention anything to do with wildlife which I hope in 10 years won't be the case, due to the growing amount of young wildlife enthusiasts. I hope all young people and adults will learn to respect wildlife and that wildlife will be regularly taught in all schools across the country! Please feel free to leave your opinions in the comments. :) 

Otter
Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. I totally agree! Environmental and wildlife education should be considered way more important than they are currently. There are a few wildlife clubs e.g. Wildlife Watch for people aged up to about 11, but they are only really used by people who are already interested, and at secondary school age there is nothing wildlife-related.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar issue, my school is full of litter and lots of birds take advantages of that but there is zero education for teenagers about wildlife! Once I had a Whimbrel on the flooded school field, last winter a possible Mealy Redpoll and two springs ago a fly-over Turtle Dove and Ross's Goose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you are very lucky! We get quite urban birds such as Pied Wagtails, Gulls and Starlings. Although this can be quite distracting in a maths lesson!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Warnham Nature Reserve

A few thoughts...

Have a wonderfully wild Christmas and a Happy New Year..