Pulborough Brooks

Today I visited RSPB Pulborough Brooks which is one of my favourite reserves for birding. Firstly I saw 4 linnets which was a first for me. They were all perched up high in the tree singing, that was the thing that drew my attention to them in the first place. Being the first time I had seen them I didn't recognise what they were straight away, but with the help of some onlooking birders I found out that they were Linnets. 
Linnet
Next, I went to the first hide (west mead). There were a flock of about 50 Wigeon, 20 Teal, 5 Pintail and 10 Shoveler.


Suddenly a huge flock of Lapwing lifted into the sky, I think they were probably spooked by a bird of prey. 


There were also a group of about 20 Black-Tailed Godwit which kept getting chased around by the Lapwings. 


On the way back to the visitor centre I spotted a female and male (most likely a pair) Stonechat which were perched on top of some reeds. A wren also flew into the bottom of the reeds. As I sat down for lunch beside the feeding stations a Great Spotted Woodpecker appeared. Behind it was another which then chased the other one off. 



I also spotted a Marsh Tit and Coal Tit which were hanging around the feeder as well.


On the way back home in the car there was a Kestrel hovering right beside the road, it looked like it had its eye on something for its lunch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warnham Nature Reserve

A few thoughts...

Have a wonderfully wild Christmas and a Happy New Year..